Wednesday, September 3, 2008

U.S. President's Co-op

Our co-op on U.S. Presidents started today. We will meet once a week for the next 10 weeks. We have 5 families and 15 children of varying ages participating. The plan is to study all of the U.S. Presidents, and some major political events in the next 10 weeks. I'm very excited, as I hope to learn so much, right along with my children. I think that is the thing I love most about homeschooling, learning with my children.

Our co-op is set up in such a way that every student will have to research, write and present a report every week. The younger children will be expected to do less than the older children, but all will get up in front of the group to share what they learned in their research. The parents all share responsibilities during the meeting by either giving an overview of the topics for the week, leading a Bible devotional, bringing a snack, leading an activity or craft, or writing the weekly newsletter. The parents will rotate through these responsibilities so that no one has to be responsible for the same thing each week.

The weekly newsletter is a compilation of each of the children's research papers, a write-up on the craft, activity and snack as well as any pictures that were taken. At the end of the 10 weeks, we will bind them and give each family a copy for their portfolio.

Today the children choose their topics to research and report on next week. My 14 year old daughter will report on John Adams, and my 6 year old son will report on the Monroe Doctrine. (I must admit that I did not know what the Monroe Doctrine was when we picked the topic, but I'm very excited to learn about it!).

No comments: